“Outsourcing It or Doing It In-house, is a question which comes in mind of almost all companies, regardless of type of industry. The answer, unfortunately, is not so black and white.”
I am currently working in Construction Project Management Consultancy and Engineering Services Company which has worked with ranges of brands, including emerging brands to established brands, in today’s market. We as Project Management Consultants helps you to concentrate on your core business while we take care of your construction delivery. Our customers get experienced professionals from very beginning of project who follows processes which are already working successfully on various projects. The experience which comes to your construction projects is actually the learning which has happened over multiple projects.
However there are both benefits and drawbacks of doing construction management In-House. For Instance, In-house teams of professionals develops a better understanding of your company’s working procedures but their technical learning are limited to individual capability and experience. This is fine for regular daily operations but could prove to be problematic when a specialized skill set is required for certain projects.
Comparatively, Outsourced teams of professional, may lack the first-hand experience of company’s internal workings. But as a PMC, we can often count on the fact that we will come with a range of expertise that is bound to address the company’s needs for long term success of project.
When deciding which avenue to venture down, I often advise prospective clients to consider their organization vision towards construction which majorly comprises of size and number of projects you are building along with your core offering.
- If your core offering/expertise is not construction,
- then going in-house might not be a good choice for you. The team building exercise for construction might take entire duration of project and it become waste of time if you are doing construction in rare scenarios. (Suggested Choice – Outsource)
- In case you see construction as a recurring activity, then you should recruit key professionals for your in-house working and outsource the project monitoring. It will actually make you independent from PMC and In-house workings while having maker-checker concept on your projects. (Suggested Choice – Mixed Team)
- If you core offering/expertise is related to construction, then going in-house is a good choice for you. The next question in line “How many projects are you developing in a year?”.
- In case you are developing a single project, then going in-house is probably the best choice, as you will be face a long-term commitment and lofty international goals. Your team will be under one roof; your team members will share your vision and you can easily change the direction of your project at a moment’s notice. (Suggested Choice – Inhouse)
- However, if you have ambitious target of completing construction projects and focus on other outcomes of Real Estate Construction, you should work with mix of In-house and Project Management Team. You should have core team to drive construction of projects and project management teams for specific projects which make them more answerable. In these case, selection of right PMC plays a vital role and you can play with different pmc combinations on different projects (Suggested Choice – Mixed Team)
- In case, you’re working on a totally new idea or building a number of project’s in a year but lacks a full-blown team to give your project the kickstart it deserves, then seeking outside help will likely be your best bet. You can spend your energy over rigorous marketing campaigns to the eventual launch of the project while dedicated group of specialists will ensure delivery with their tested processes. It will not only save you money in long run but ensure an integral success to the project. (Suggested Choice – Outsource)
You’ll want to take your time to hire the right people who are eager to grow with you from day one. Outsourcing PMC is not only for those who are just starting out; established builders and developers can also benefit from this strategy. Many big companies simply do not have the manpower, equipment or expertise to handle certain projects, which needs latest implemented technologies in field of construction.
For any Project Management and Engineering Consultancy Connect us at +91-120-4356006 or email@example.com. We are specialized in Latest Construction Monitoring Technologies, Building Information Modeling (BIM), Quantity Surveying (QS), Bar Bending Schedule (BBS), Cost; Quality; & Scheduling Audits, Material Management Software, 3D Walkthroughs, Training on Primavera/MS Project, and Home Inspection